It seems like every other month, a new anti-virus software is being released, and sometimes it can be difficult to narrow down what you need. Just when you think you’ve finally found a program that’ll prevent those annoying emails from a prince living in some foreign country asking you to help him reroute his fortune, it turns out that the protection doesn’t come cheap – at all. We’re here to help you by giving our top three picks for anti-virus software that won’t break the bank.
Top 3 anti-virus programs on a budget
1. McAfee AntiVirus Plus
McAfee is a top product, offering complete protection for not just your PC, but your smartphone and tablet, too. Some of the things that are included in your kit are:
- Safe Web Browsing – warnings of an unsafe website or link before you click
- Cross Platform access – control the amount of protection for all of your devices from one place
- Password Manager – manage all of your passwords directly from one app
- Free customer support
All of that comes for $19.99 for the first year for up to 10 devices. The best part is that you can test drive before you buy with a 30-day free trial. Once it’s over, you can take your pick from the Plus or their other kits starting with a year’s full protection for one device for $54.99, and getting cheaper until you reach protection for 10 devices at $44.99 for the year.
2. AVG AntiVirus
AVG is probably one of the most popular software programs out now. What makes AVG a favorite is that it has a free option available for PC, Android, and Mac. The basic gets you the essentials for free, including:
- Stopping viruses, spyware, and other malware
- Blocking risky downloads, attachments, and links
- Real-time security updates to let you know what’s happening as it happens
If you’re not on a super tight budget, it’s worth checking out what AVG Internet Security gives you. It has everything that you get with the free package, but also includes:
- Scanning for performance issues
- Protection from stealth watching using your webcam
- Hacker protection with Advanced Firewall
- AntiVirus PRO for Android
AVG is a solid choice for both students with a limited income and those who can shell out a bit more for the full protection. $79.99 gets you a full year, and also offers a free 30-day trial.
3. Kaspersky AntiVirus
Kaspersky revamped their programs for 2018 making them easier to use and added extra layers of protection. Here’s what you get with Kaspersky’s coverage:
- Protection against malware, ransomware, and other cyber security attacks
- Security for your private and personal information saved on all devices
- Safe transactions with banking and shopping protection
- Simple security management with total control from one place
Protection can cover any of your devices – Android, iOS, PC, and Mac. There are monthly subscriptions for smaller protection coverages like Kaspersky Secure Connection starting at $4.99 per month, and after that handy 30-day free trial you have a number of packages to choose from, starting with one PC at $39.95 for an entire year.